Saturday 21 May 2016

Waste not, want not

This morning I was doing some die cutting for a forthcoming DT card, and I thought the negatives were really too good to throw away. But I'd used scraps of card for the cutting, so they wouldn't have looked very good used as they were. Then I had a thought - why not use them as stencils?

I used a small sponge and Versafine inks to stencil the branch and pine comes onto cream card, and the result came out looking very much like watercolour painting. All it needed was a stamped sentiment to produce a CAS Christmas card that I feel as if I've made for "free" since the negatives were waste anyway.


I am sharing this with

CASology - Stencil 
C.R.A.F.T. Challenge - Christmas
Jingle Belles - Banish the blues

8 comments:

Liz said...

Clever idea, Jane. It really does look like a beautiful watercolour painting. xx

Cara said...

Great idea to use them as stencils and a wonderful card that you've created with them. Cara x

Jean said...

Great idea. Thanks for joining us over at the CRAFT Challenge, hope you will join us again and good luck. Jean DT XX

Judy1223 said...

Jane, I think it does look like you water colored your branch and pine cone...how clever to use the negative of a die cut as a stencil! Thanks for playing along at CASology this week!

Jen W. said...

Love the fabulous watercolor look, Jane! And really as long as we have some dies we have stencils right? I must remember this more often.. Thanks for playing along with CASology this week!

SmilynStef said...

You did produce an awesome watercolor effect ... perfect ink colors ... so glad you helped us Banish the Holiday Blues at Jingle Belles.

Chloe said...

Perfect minimalistic design! It looks really elegant and touching.

lauren bergold said...

that really IS a gorrrrrrgeous watercolor effect... you are SO CLEVER to use the negatives from diecutting, i want to try that now! meanwhile, thanks for helping us "banish the holiday blues" at JINGLE BELLES! ♥