Tuesday 11 October 2016

Dinosaur Dreams

I really didn't think I would be joining in with Less Is More this week, because I went through all my sentiment stamps and couldn't find anything to do with dreams. And then I lifted out this Clearly Dinosaur set  to make a card for the "Five stamps or more" challenge at Inkspirational - and lo and behold, there was the perfect sentiment!  And as I was already planning to heat emboss my dinosaurs to make them stand out from the background, that's heat embossing at CAS on Sunday sorted too.


I'd originally planned to layer up the little scene, but now I was making a one layer challenge I masked the edges of the card off instead. And to make the little stegosaurus dream he was a pterodactyl, I found myself a peel off "thinks bubble" (I hope a peel off is OK on a one layer card - I checked the DT posts at LIM and one of them used enamel dots so I think a peel off should be OK!)

The two dinosaurs are heat embossed and coloured in with  water based markers - not Promarkers which would show through on the inside. Then I added the thinks bubble and masked off the dinosaurs and the bubble (using the peel off waste as a template for my mask) and stamped all the other elements of the scene, and coloured them in with pencils so the dinosaurs would stand out.  I used a total of nine stamps, because every element in the set is separate meaning that I can create a different scene every time I use them.

I'm disappointed with a couple of things though - firstly a couple of rough patches on the card that have made the stegosaurus look rather unevenly coloured, and secondly a tiny spot of ink that I got on the right of the card. I tried to cover it with an opaque white pen but it just seems to have made matters worse. Had it not been a one layer card, I'd have stuck something over it!

10 comments:

Esther said...

What an incredibly cute scene, Jane! I love how the dinosaur is dreaming of getting wings... so sweet! You've done a great job of keeping a complex scene to one layer, too - nice one! Thanks for playing along with us at Less is More :)

Susan said...

These little guys are so cute! Thanks for sharing at Less is More!

Barb said...

I love your little dinosaurs Jane. A really sweet scene. Very funny too using the "thought" bubble Barbxx

Tracy Welham said...

That's so sweet, I love the dinosaur dreaming. Creative Blessings, Tracy x

Nonni said...

What a fun idea to use a peel-off sticker! Your scene is super cute, I love these creatures! Thanks for joining us at Inkspirational!

Dr Sonia S V said...

What an adorable card Jane..the little dinos are so cute
Cheers
Dr Sonia

Sazzle Dazzle said...

How cute and delightful Jane and I'm glad you managed to find a dreamy sentiment amongst your stash. Great little scene and thanks for playing along with us at Less is More this week. Sarah x

anja curvers said...

Such a sweet and funny card, love it. Thanks for joining us over at CAS on Sunday.

Neets B said...

Great little scene and I love how colourful you've made it. Minimal embellishments are allowed on our one layer challenges so the peel-off is just fine :)
Thanks for sharing with us.
Anita x
Less is More

Chrissie said...

Anita is on the spot with her comment Jane... minimal embellishments are just fine, I agree about the cuteness too!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"